23 November 2011

The Inevitable

Reading: Compass Points: How I Lived by Edward Hoagland

One of the most notable marks of an impoverished country is the elevated rate of crime. Since arriving in Ecuador, Peace Corps has been relentless in briefing us on safety and security measures. Statistically speaking, Ecuador has a rather high crime, albeit petty, rate for Latin America.

Countless volunteers have had their cell phones swiped on a bus or an unwatched bag lifted at a restaurant. I would say the majority of us have resigned ourselves to material detachment. Yes, I enjoy having my iPod, but I am willing to take the risk of listening to it on the bus, knowing that the numbers are not in my favor. However, there is a completely different feeling when the delinquency occurs a little closer to home...

Ecuadorians are marvelous storytellers, perpetual worriers and ardent pessimists. "No one is ever safe and there are no good people in this world." I like to think that although I fall into the sinkhole of pessimism, I tend to be a bit more adventurous than the average Ecuadorian... which leads me to chats with my seatmate on the bus, traveling by myself and opening my doors to the gaggles of niños residing unsupervised in Chimbo. The latter, it appears, has finally bit me in the ass...

Sunday tends to be one of my favorite days of the week here. It typically involves sleeping in until 7am, a long run, bingo and lately dance practice with a local folkloric group (dot worry, we have mass on Wednesday). Anyway, this last Sunday consisted of both bingo and dancing. Unfortunately, while I was out having my dancing skills shown up and my host fam was enjoying bingo, some of the kids in town (the verdict is still out on which) were reaping the riches of my humble abode. Clearly, they have a long way to go in the life of a professional criminal, as they didn't bother to actually steal anything (iPod, camera, nook, cash, jewelry, etc.) but instead just wrecked havoc on my poor little MIDUVI. Now, it is almost humorous as they...
Mi salita
  1. ate all my yogurt
  2. threw cut up cucumbers and bananas around the living room
  3. left their dirty dishes around
  4. covered the kitchen with hand soap
  5. dumped flea powder all over my living room and bedroom
  6. played with my makeup
  7. threw floss all around the bathroom
  8. painted my nook with nail polish
Covering my nook with pink nail polish was probably the biggest blow (I read a lot down here...) but luckily was resolved with a little acetone.

All around, the whole even was rather strange and unfortunate... my poor host sister was (wrongly) blamed and got the belt for it as she had my keys earlier that day and had been in the house to get something for me (she has watched the house and Denali countless times for me with no such occurrence). It appears that the culprits crawled in through the window, even though it does have metal bars on it... but it looks like Peace Corps will be helping to fund some new ones that are resistant to very small, skinny children.

1 comment:

  1. Well I'm very glad that the niños didn't take anything of value but I find it quite hilarious that they ate all of your yogurt. Dang kids these days and their need for healthy bacteria in their systems! :) Hope all is well! <3 Hannah

    ReplyDelete