05 February 2012

In the honor of...

Reading: The Mountains of California by John Muir

The things that have gotten me through my first year in Ecuador: friends, family and books.

First, I want to say that I have really wonderful friends. One of the things that I learned very quickly when I came here is the cultural differences that surround friendships. In Ecuador, your family is often your source of friendships. In the States, your friends become your family.

Okay, that was sappy, I know. But seriously, I have really wonderful friends (and family). You all have sent me enough packages to the point that I haven't been without Trident Original gum since I got here last year. Plus, you've all put up with my sporadic communication and my occasional bitching, which has been more frequent of the late.

So, in one very tacky blog posting, I want to say muchisma gracias a todos.


Second, I'm dedicating this whole post to books (since they sometimes come in boxes from friends.) I've always been a avid reader, but it seems to have turned into a bit of an obsession since getting here. As in, I average 2.5 books a weeks... which could just be an horrible indicator of my lack of projects at the moment. Either way, you can do the math to figure out how much I've been reading since I've come to Ecuador. But in case you're not interested in doing that, I'll give you a quick highlight...

I have read ridiculously long books like Atlas Shrugged, Gone With the Wind, Lonesome Dove and Ulysses (Joyce). I have reread old favorites like Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I have read books that I have fallen in love with (Running After Antelopes by Scott Carrier). And I have read books that I have hated but finished anyway (Barrel Fever by David Sedaris). I have reread books from when I was a kid (the Call of the Wild). And I have reread all seven of the Harry Potter books. I have read full series (the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). And I have read classics that I probably should have read while in high school (A Tale of Two Cities). I have read my first (and probably last) Stephen King novel. And I have solidified my love for John Muir, Ralph Waldo Emerson and Wendell Berry. This list could go on and on...

Anyway, that's all I've got: one year in Ecuador and all I've got to say for myself is I've read a lot of books and I have great friends. Oh, and I've consumed more oreos in this year alone then I have in my entire prior life.

So here's to friends, books and oreos! ¡Que rica esa vida!

No comments:

Post a Comment