22 September 2012

Alfalfa Pineapple Cucumber Lime Juice

Reading: The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers

When I was a junior in high school I had a short stint where I worked at one of those health-freak juice and smoothie shops. I only worked there for a month and a half before quitting – but not without learning two very important things before hand.
Seriously, green tastes good.
  • Having a boss that you respect and respects you makes all the difference in a work environment. 
  • Green tastes good.
(I left the job for a paid internship on the 2004 Bush campaign, where I learned my next important life lesson:
  • I am not cut out for the GOP.
I quit that job three weeks later and decided I was better suited for working outdoors and with horses.)

Today, we’re focusing on point number two: green tastes good. Seriously. All those bottled fruit drinks that look like someone blended spinach and is now selling it at an absurdly high price – so deliciously worth it. Who is a sucker for wheat grass shots? This girl. In fact, I think they taste sweet and flavorful. I like salads without dressings and am not afraid of swiss chard in liquid form.


(Ecuadorians also love juice, in a very non-pretentious, non-health freakish way. It usually involves the most succulent mixture of fruits and vegetables, plus a cupful of sugar. Just incase you were not convinced that fruit is sweet. But seriously, disregarding the sugar content, Ecuador could teach the States a thing or two about the art of juicing.)

So when I did my Saturday visit to the weekend produce shop, I was ecstatic to find alfalfa. Not sprouts, but like actual, leafy alfalfa. Maybe it’s because of all those hours I spent in horse barns, but there is something so comforting about alfalfa. Just seeing it bundled up next to the spinach, chamomile, and cilantro brings back a rush of warm fuzzies, that earthy smell of summer with fresh cut fields and the warm, dried scents of haylofts and fall.

Es para jugo,” the vendor told me as I longingly handled the bunch, “$0.25 para todo.” Sold, to the number one lover of all green juices. Add a $1.00 for a fresh pineapple, $.015 for a cucumber, and I present you with “Alfalfa Pineapple Cucumber Lime Juice”
  • ½ pound alfalfa leaves
  • ½ pineapple
  • 1 cucumber
  • ¼ cup limejuice
  • 8 cups water
Blend, strain, and enjoy.

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment