29 October 2012

Where did October go?

Reading: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell

It appears that I have forgotten that I have a blog this past month. While things are not always what they appear, I have certainly been negligent and we will leave it at that. But there that is not to say that things have not been going on during my hiatus. Here is a quick run through:
'Melo enjoying the view of her new domain from above
  • I started a world map at the elementary school and made the mistake of buying oil-based paint. It has turned into a messier project than originally anticipated.
  • I am now the owner of not one but two cats. Denali is less than thrilled about her new housemate, Carmelo or 'Melo for short. My neighbors and host family are in complete agreement. Apparently there are now death threats out on the two unless they start behaving themselves. It would appear that Denali has taken this to heart and rarely comes around to avoid any confrontations. 'Melo, however, has taken a strange interest in the house down the street and continues to make herself an unwelcomed visitor. I happen to think that they are overreacting a bit… the family that complains about the noise loves to serenade me at all hours with Kelly Clarkson, Rihanna, Daddy Yankee, and a horrible Spanish rendition of “My Heart Will Go On.” The other family has a lovely daughter who regularly makes herself an unwelcomed guest to the whole neighborhood. I never complain, so why should they?
  • To celebrate making it to the quarter century mark, I traveled six hours one way for my first hot shower in months. It was completely worth it. The trip was also complemented with great friends, hiking in beautiful Cajas National Park, excellent food, and a new alpaca blanket. Viva la santa.
  • I successfully baked a carrot cake and my host family liked it! I am slowly chipping away at my machona stereotype. They also loved the chocolate covered oreo balls that I made a few weeks ago. Although I don’t think they were as impressed with my hummus. You win some, you lose some.
  • George McGovern died at age 90. Here is an awesome op-ed reflection on his life and achievements by my newest writer crush
Cajas National Park

1 comment:

  1. Bahaha, I love the picture! Who wouldn't want to invite her fat, furry little self into their home? I'm real glad to have been a part of some of the things you wrote about this month. Viva la santa! (Next up: ear piercings)

    ReplyDelete