03 September 2011

Have you tried this weird animal yet?

Reading; The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Good mornin' Mr. Iguana
I ate iguana. Enough said.

I guess a little back-story on this occurrence may be warranted, although I feel as if the statement alone is sufficient. Basically, people here, especially the guys love to play this game with me that should have the name “have you tried this weird animal yet?"

Most of the time, my answer is no, since animal in question is usually something like snake, zorro, squirrel, carbora, guinea pig, rabbit, iguana, etc. A few days ago, we were going through the motions of this game yet again and the point came up that I still have not had the pleasure of eating iguana. At the time, I really didn’t think much of the conversation. But last night when one of the little boys in Chimbo showed up at my door while a I was making dinner to tell me that his brother had gone out and shot me an iguana at the river and his mother was grilling it for me.



So, I was whisked off to their lovely little caƱa house to have my first taste of iguana, while the guys spent the majority of the meal trying to whip each other with the tail. Apparently, it’s not worth eating… not that I can say that the rest of the iguana is really worth eating. Everyone kept telling me that it tastes exactly like chicken, which I guess could be true, if the chicken you were eating was really horrible, boney and tough. I would like to say that it tastes somewhat like pork, although it has been years since I have actually had pork. Luckily, the mother who prepared it for me had some great concoction of season, as iguana is not the kind of meat that can stand alone like traditionally “wild game.”

I think I’ll stick to bison, elk and duck. Or fish would be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment